Meaning of grid
Pronunciation: (grid), [key]
- a grating of crossed bars; gridiron.
- a metallic framework employed in a storage cell or battery for conducting the electric current and supporting the active material.
- a system of electrical distribution serving a large area, esp. by means of high-tension lines.
- an electrode in a vacuum tube, usually consisting of parallel wires, a coil of wire, or a screen, for controlling the flow of electrons between the other electrodes.
- a basic system of reference lines for a region, consisting of straight lines intersecting at right angles.
- a network of horizontal and perpendicular lines, uniformly spaced, for locating points on a map, chart, or aerial photograph by means of a system of coordinates.
- a rectangular system of coordinates used in locating the principal elements of a plan.
- gridiron (def. 1).
- grid (Thesaurus)