Meaning of grass roots
— (used with a sing. or pl. v.) (used with a sing. or pl. v.)
- the common or ordinary people, esp. as contrasted with the leadership or elite of a political party, social organization, etc.; the rank and file.
- the agricultural and rural areas of a country.
- the people inhabiting these areas, esp. as a political, social, or economic group.
- the origin or basis of something; the basic or primary concept, rule, part, or the like.
Pronunciation: (gras'rts", -roots", gräs'-), [key]
- of, pertaining to, or involving the common people, esp. as contrasted with or separable from an elite: a grass-roots movement for nuclear disarmament.
- grass roots (Thesaurus)