gondola: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (gon'dl-u or, esp. for 1, gon-dō'lu), [key]
- a long, narrow, flat-bottomed boat having a tall, ornamental stem and stern and sometimes a small cabin for passengers, rowed or poled by a single person who stands at the stern, facing forward: used esp. on the canals of Venice, Italy.
- a passenger compartment suspended beneath a balloon or airship. Cf. car (def. 4).
- an enclosed cabin suspended from an overhead cable, used to transport passengers up and down a ski slope or over scenic or treacherous terrain.
- Also calledan open railroad freight car with low sides, for transporting bulk freight and manufactured goods.
- a truck whose bed or trailer is a hopper, as for transporting mixed cement.
- a freestanding structure for displaying merchandise in a retail establishment, as a supermarket.
- a chair or couch having a gondola back.
- gondola (Thesaurus)
Here are the facts and trivia that people are buzzing about.