Meaning of giveaway
Pronunciation: (giv'u-wā"), [key]
- an act or instance of giving something away.
- something that is given away, esp. as a gift or premium: A pocket calculator was offered as a giveaway with every new subscription to the magazine.
- a radio or television program on which prizes are given away to contestants in a question-and-answer game.
- a tax law or other legislation designed to benefit one segment of the population, one area or state, etc.: a giveaway that benefited only the very rich.
- an unscrupulous deal, esp. one that benefits some while defrauding others.
- any careless loss of possession of a ball, puck, etc., or other offensive lapse that leads to a score by the opponent.
- constituting a giveaway: a giveaway newspaper.
- giveaway (Thesaurus)