Meaning of Gibraltar
Pronunciation: (ji-brôl'tur), [key]
- a British crown colony comprising a fortress and seaport located on a narrow promontory near the S tip of Spain. 29,934; 1 sq. mi. (5 sq. km).
- Ancient,Calpe.a long, precipitous mountain nearly coextensive with this colony: one of the Pillars of Hercules. 1396 ft. (426 m) high; 212 mi. (4 km) long.
- any person or thing that has strength and endurance that can be relied on.
- a strait between Europe and Africa at the Atlantic entrance to the Mediterranean. 8–23 mi. (14–37 km) wide.
- any impregnable fortress or stronghold.
- gibraltar (Thesaurus)