Meaning of genitive
Pronunciation: ( jen'i-tiv), [key]
— Gram. Gram.
- (in certain inflected languages) noting a case of nouns, pronouns, or adjectives, used primarily to express possession, measure, or origin: as John's hat, week's vacation, duty's call.
- noting an affix or other element characteristic of this case, or a word containing such an element.
- similar to such a case form in function or meaning.
- the genitive case.
- a word in the genitive case.
- a construction noting this case or the relationship usually expressed by it. Cf. possessive.
- genitive (Thesaurus)