generate: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: ( jen'u-rāt"), [key]
— v., -at•ed, -at•ing.
- to bring into existence; cause to be; produce.
- to create by a vital or natural process.
- to create and distribute vitally and profusely: He generates ideas that we all should consider. A good diplomat generates good will.
- to reproduce; procreate.
- to produce by a chemical process.
- The number 2 generates the set 2, 4, 8, 16.
- to trace (a figure) by the motion of a point, straight line, or curve.
- to act as base for all the elements of a given set:The number 2 generates the set 2, 4, 8, 16.
- to produce or specify (a grammatical sentence or other construction or set of constructions) by the application of a rule or set of rules in a generative grammar.
- to reproduce; propagate.
- generate (Thesaurus)