Meaning of generalize
Pronunciation: ( jen'ur-u-līz"), [key]
— v., -ized, -iz•ing.
- to infer (a general principle, trend, etc.) from particular facts, statistics, or the like.
- to infer or form (a general principle, opinion, conclusion, etc.) from only a few facts, examples, or the like.
- to give a general rather than a specific or special character or form to.
- to make general; bring into general use or knowledge.
- to form general principles, opinions, etc.
- to deal, think, or speak in generalities.
- to make general inferences.
- generalize (Thesaurus)