Meaning of generalization
Pronunciation: ( jen"ur-u-lu-zā'shun), [key]
- the act or process of generalizing.
- a result of this process; a general statement, idea, or principle.
- a proposition asserting something to be true either of all members of a certain class or of an indefinite part of that class.
- the process of obtaining such propositions.
- Also calledstimulus generalization.the act or process of responding to a stimulus similar to but distinct from the conditioned stimulus.
- Also calledresponse generalization.the act or process of making a different but similar response to the same stimulus.
- Also calledmediated generalization.the act or process of responding to a stimulus not physically similar to the conditioned stimulus and not previously encountered in conditioning.
- the act or process of perceiving similarity or relation between different stimuli, as between words, colors, sounds, lights, concepts or feelings; the formation of a general notion.
- generalization (Thesaurus)