Meaning of gasp
Pronunciation: (gasp, gäsp), [key]
- a sudden, short intake of breath, as in shock or surprise.
- a convulsive effort to breathe.
- a short, convulsive utterance: the words came out in gasps.
- the point of death; dying: At his last gasp he confessed to the murder.
- to catch one's breath.
- to struggle for breath with the mouth open; breathe convulsively.
- to long with breathless eagerness; desire; crave (usually fol. by for or after).
- to utter with gasps (often fol. by out, forth, away, etc.): She gasped out the words.
- to breathe or emit with gasps (often fol. by away).
- gasp (Thesaurus)