gas: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (gas), [key]
— n., pl. v., gas•es, gassed, gas•sing.
- a substance possessing perfect molecular mobility and the property of indefinite expansion, as opposed to a solid or liquid.
- any such fluid or mixture of fluids.
- any such fluid used as an anesthetic, as nitrous oxide: Did the dentist give you gas for your extraction?
- any such combustible fluid used as fuel: Light the gas in the oven.
- Take your foot off the gas.
- Also calledgas pedal.the foot-operated accelerator of an automotive vehicle:Take your foot off the gas.
- an explosive mixture of firedamp with air.
- an aeriform fluid or a mistlike assemblage of fine particles suspended in air, used in warfare to asphyxiate, poison, or stupefy an enemy.
- The party was an absolute gas, and we loved it.
- empty talk.
- a person or thing that is very entertaining, pleasing, or successful:The party was an absolute gas, and we loved it.
- a person or thing that affects one strongly.
- to increase the speed of one's movement or activity; hurry: We'd better step on the gas or we'll be late for the concert.
- to supply with gas.
- to overcome, poison, or asphyxiate with gas or fumes.
- to singe (yarns or fabrics) with a gas flame to remove superfluous fibers.
- to treat or impregnate with gas.
- Her weird clothes really gas me.
- to talk nonsense or falsehood to.
- to amuse or affect strongly:Her weird clothes really gas me.
- to give off gas, as a storage battery being charged.
- to indulge in idle, empty talk.
- to become drunk (often fol. by up).
- to fill the gasoline tank of an automobile, truck, or other vehicle.
- gas (Thesaurus)
Here are the facts and trivia that people are buzzing about.