Meaning of gamble
Pronunciation: (gam'bul), [key]
— v., n. -bled, -bling,
- to play at any game of chance for money or other stakes.
- to stake or risk money, or anything of value, on the outcome of something involving chance: to gamble on a toss of the dice.
- to lose or squander by betting (usually fol. by away): He gambled all his hard-earned money away in one night.
- to wager or risk (money or something else of value): to gamble one's freedom.
- to take a chance on; venture; risk: I'm gambling that our new store will be a success.
- any matter or thing involving risk or hazardous uncertainty.
- a venture in a game of chance for stakes, esp. for high stakes.
- gamble (Thesaurus)