fume: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (fym), [key]
— n., v., fumed, fum•ing.
- Often,any smokelike or vaporous exhalation from matter or substances, esp. of an odorous or harmful nature: tobacco fumes; noxious fumes of carbon monoxide.
- an irritable or angry mood: He has been in a fume ever since the contract fell through.
- to emit or exhale, as fumes or vapor: giant stacks fuming their sooty smoke.
- to treat with or expose to fumes.
- to show fretful irritation or anger: She always fumes when the mail is late.
- to rise, or pass off, as fumes: smoke fuming from an ashtray.
- to emit fumes: The leaky pipe fumed alarmingly.
Pronunciation: (fy-mā'), [key]
— adj. French.
- fume (Thesaurus)