Meaning of fugitive
Pronunciation: (fy'ji-tiv), [key]
- a person who is fleeing, from prosecution, intolerable circumstances, etc.; a runaway: a fugitive from justice; a fugitive from a dictatorial regime.
- having taken flight, or run away: a fugitive slave.
- fleeting; transitory; elusive: fugitive thoughts that could not be formulated.
- changing color as a result of exposure to light and chemical substances present in the atmosphere, in other pigments, or in the medium.
- dealing with subjects of passing interest, as writings; ephemeral: fugitive essays.
- wandering, roving, or vagabond: a fugitive carnival.
- fugitive (Thesaurus)