Meaning of fruit
Pronunciation: (frt), [key]
— n., pl. v. fruits, fruit,
- any product of plant growth useful to humans or animals.
- the developed ovary of a seed plant with its contents and accessory parts, as the pea pod, nut, tomato, or pineapple.
- the edible part of a plant developed from a flower, with any accessory tissues, as the peach, mulberry, or banana.
- the spores and accessory organs of ferns, mosses, fungi, algae, or lichen.
- anything produced or accruing; product, result, or effect; return or profit: the fruits of one's labors.
- . a male homosexual.
- to bear or cause to bear fruit: a tree that fruits in late summer; careful pruning that sometimes fruits a tree.
- fruit (Thesaurus)