fowl: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (foul), [key]
— n., pl. v. fowls, fowl,
- the domestic or barnyard hen or rooster; chicken. Cf. domestic fowl.
- any of several other, usually gallinaceous, birds that are barnyard, domesticated, or wild, as the duck, turkey, or pheasant.
- (in market and household use) a full-grown domestic fowl for food purposes, as distinguished from a chicken or young fowl.
- the flesh or meat of a domestic fowl.
- any bird (used chiefly in combination): waterfowl; wildfowl.
- to hunt or take wildfowl.
- fowl (Thesaurus)