Meaning of formality
Pronunciation: (fôr-mal'i-tē), [key]
— pl. -ties.
- condition or quality of being formal; accordance with required or traditional rules, procedures, etc.; conventionality.
- rigorously methodical character.
- strict adherence to established rules and procedures; rigidity.
- observance of form or ceremony.
- marked or excessive ceremoniousness.
- an established order or method of proceeding: the formalities of judicial process.
- a formal act or observance.
- something done merely or mainly for form's sake; a requirement of custom or etiquette: the formality of a thank-you note.
- formality (Thesaurus)