footing: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (foot'ing), [key]
- the basis or foundation on which anything is established.
- the act of one who moves on foot, as in walking or dancing.
- a secure and established position.
- a place or support for the feet; surface to stand on; foothold.
- a firm placing of the feet; stability: He regained his footing.
- the part of a foundation bearing directly upon the earth.
- position or status assigned to a person, group, etc., in estimation or treatment.
- mutual standing; reciprocal relation: to be on a friendly footing with someone.
- entrance into a new position or relationship: to gain a footing in society.
- a fee demanded from a person upon entrance into a trade, society, etc.
- the act of adding a foot to something, as to a stocking.
- that which is added as a foot.
- the act of adding up a column of figures.
- the total of such a column.
- footing (Thesaurus)