football: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (foot'bôl"), [key]
- a game in which two opposing teams of 11 players each defend goals at opposite ends of a field having goal posts at each end, with points being scored chiefly by carrying the ball across the opponent's goal line and by place-kicking or drop-kicking the ball over the crossbar between the opponent's goal posts. Cf. conversion (def. 13),(def. 1),(def. 6),
- the ball used in this game, an inflated oval with a bladder contained in a casing usually made of leather.
- Rugby (def. 3).
- something sold at a reduced or special price.
- any person or thing treated roughly or tossed about: They're making a political football of this issue.
- (cap.)Slang. a briefcase containing the codes and options the president would use to launch a nuclear attack, carried by a military aide and kept available to the president at all times.
- to offer for sale at a reduced or special price.
- football (Thesaurus)