Meaning of foliate
Pronunciation: (adj.fō'lē-it, -āt"v.fō'lē-āt"), [key]
— adj., v., -at•ed, -at•ing.
- covered with or having leaves.
- like a leaf, as in shape.
- foliate tracery.
- ornamented with or composed of foils:foliate tracery.
- ornamented with representations of foliage:a foliate capital.
- foliated (def. 2).
- to put forth leaves.
- to split into thin leaflike layers or laminae.
- to shape like a leaf or leaves.
- to decorate with foils or foliage.
- to form into thin sheets.
- to spread over with a thin metallic backing.
- to number the folios or leaves, as distinguished from pages, of (a manuscript or book).
- foliate (Thesaurus)