flourish: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (flûr'ish, flur'-), [key]
- to be in a vigorous state; thrive: a period in which art flourished.
- to be in its or in one's prime; be at the height of fame, excellence, influence, etc.
- to be successful; prosper.
- to grow luxuriantly, or thrive in growth, as a plant.
- to make dramatic, sweeping gestures: Flourish more when you act out the king's great death scene.
- to add embellishments and ornamental lines to writing, letters, etc.
- to sound a trumpet call or fanfare.
- to brandish dramatically; gesticulate with: a conductor flourishing his baton for the crescendo.
- to decorate or embellish (writing, a page of script, etc.) with sweeping or fanciful curves or lines.
- an act or instance of brandishing.
- an ostentatious display.
- a decoration or embellishment, esp. in writing: He added a few flourishes to his signature.
- a parade of fine language; an expression used merely for effect.
- a trumpet call or fanfare.
- a condition or period of thriving: in full flourish.
- flourish (Thesaurus)
Here are the facts and trivia that people are buzzing about.