flour: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (flour, flou'ur), [key]
- the finely ground meal of grain, esp. the finer meal separated by bolting.
- the finely ground and bolted meal of wheat, as that used in baking.
- a finely ground, powdery foodstuff, as of dehydrated potatoes, fish, or bananas.
- a fine, soft powder: flour of emery.
- to make (grain or the like) into flour; grind and bolt.
- to sprinkle or dredge with flour: Flour the chicken before frying.
- (of mercury) to refuse to amalgamate with another metal because of some impurity of the metal; lie on the surface of the metal in the form of minute globules.
- to disintegrate into minute particles.
- flour (Thesaurus)