floor: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (flôr, flōr), [key]
- that part of a room, hallway, or the like, that forms its lower enclosing surface and upon which one walks.
- a continuous, supporting surface extending horizontally throughout a building, having a number of rooms, apartments, or the like, and constituting one level or stage in the structure; story.
- a level, supporting surface in any structure: the elevator floor.
- one of two or more layers of material composing a floor: rough floor; finish floor.
- a platform or prepared level area for a particular use: a threshing floor.
- the bottom of any more or less hollow place: the floor of a tunnel.
- a more or less flat extent of surface: the floor of the ocean.
- the part of a legislative chamber, meeting room, etc., where the members sit, and from which they speak.
- the right of one member to speak from such a place in preference to other members: The senator from Alaska has the floor.
- the area of a floor, as in a factory or retail store, where items are actually made or sold, as opposed to offices, supply areas, etc.: There are only two salesclerks on the floor.
- the main part of a stock or commodity exchange or the like, as distinguished from the galleries, platform, etc.
- the bottom, base, or minimum charged, demanded, or paid: The government avoided establishing a price or wage floor.
- an underlying stratum, as of ore, usually flat.
- the bottom of a hull.
- any of a number of deep, transverse framing members at the bottom of a steel or iron hull, generally interrupted by and joined to any vertical keel or keelsons.
- the lowermost member of a frame in a wooden vessel.
- to overwhelm completely; defeat: He expected to mop the floor with his opponents.
- to arise to address a meeting.
- to cover or furnish with a floor.
- to bring down to the floor or ground; knock down: He floored his opponent with one blow.
- to overwhelm; defeat.
- to confound or puzzle; nonplus: I was floored by the problem.
- to push (a foot-operated accelerator pedal) all the way down to the floor of a vehicle, for maximum speed or power.
- floor (Thesaurus)
Here are the facts and trivia that people are buzzing about.