Meaning of flea
Pronunciation: (flē), [key]
- any of numerous small, wingless bloodsucking insects of the order Siphonaptera, parasitic upon mammals and birds and noted for their ability to leap.
- either of two common fleas of the genus Ctenocephalides, the very small, black C. felisor the similar but larger C. canisboth of which infest cats, dogs, and occasionally humans.
- any of various small beetles and crustaceans that leap like a flea or swim in a jumpy manner, as the water flea and beach flea.
- The next time he shows his face around here he'll get a flea in his ear.
- a disconcerting rebuke or rebuff:The next time he shows his face around here he'll get a flea in his ear.
- a broad hint.
- flea (Thesaurus)