filibuster: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (fil'u-bus"tur), [key]
- the use of irregular or obstructive tactics by a member of a legislative assembly to prevent the adoption of a measure generally favored or to force a decision against the will of the majority.
- an exceptionally long speech, as one lasting for a day or days, or a series of such speeches to accomplish this purpose.
- a member of a legislature who makes such a speech.
- an irregular military adventurer, esp. one who engages in an unauthorized military expedition into a foreign country to foment or support a revolution.
- to impede legislation by irregular or obstructive tactics, esp. by making long speeches.
- to act as an irregular military adventurer, esp. for revolutionary purposes.
- to impede (legislation) by irregular or obstructive tactics, esp. by making long speeches.
- filibuster (Thesaurus)
Here are the facts and trivia that people are buzzing about.