Meaning of fiction
Pronunciation: (fik'shun), [key]
- the class of literature comprising works of imaginative narration, esp. in prose form.
- works of this class, as novels or short stories: detective fiction.
- something feigned, invented, or imagined; a made-up story: We've all heard the fiction of her being in delicate health.
- the act of feigning, inventing, or imagining.
- an imaginary thing or event, postulated for the purposes of argument or explanation.
- an allegation that a fact exists that is known not to exist, made by authority of law to bring a case within the operation of a rule of law.
- fiction (Thesaurus)