Meaning of fertile
Pronunciation: (fûr'tl or, esp. Brit., -tīl), [key]
- bearing, producing, or capable of producing vegetation, crops, etc., abundantly; prolific: fertile soil.
- bearing or capable of bearing offspring.
- abundantly productive: a fertile imagination.
- producing an abundance (usually fol. by of or in): a land fertile of wheat.
- conducive to productiveness: fertile showers.
- fertilized, as an egg or ovum; fecundated.
- capable of growth or development, as seeds or eggs.
- capable of producing sexual reproductive structures.
- capable of causing fertilization, as an anther with fully developed pollen.
- having spore-bearing organs, as a frond.
- (of a nuclide) capable of being transmuted into a fissile nuclide by irradiation with neutrons:Cf. fissile (def. 2). Uranium 238 and thorium 232 are fertile nuclides.
- produced in abundance.
- fertile (Thesaurus)