Meaning of explain
Pronunciation: (ik-splān'), [key]
- to make plain or clear; render understandable or intelligible: to explain an obscure point.
- to make known in detail: to explain how to do something.
- to assign a meaning to; interpret: How can you explain such a silly remark?
- to make clear the cause or reason of; account for: I cannot explain his strange behavior.
- to give an explanation.
- He couldn't explain away his absence from home at the time the robbery was committed.
- to diminish or nullify the significance of by explanation:He couldn't explain away his absence from home at the time the robbery was committed.
- to dispel (doubts, difficulties, etc.) by explanation:She explained away the child's fears.
- explain (Thesaurus)