evaporate: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (i-vap'u-rāt"), [key]
— v., -rat•ed, -rat•ing.
- to change from a liquid or solid state into vapor; pass off in vapor.
- to give off moisture.
- to disappear; vanish; fade: His hopes evaporated.
- to convert into a gaseous state or vapor; drive off or extract in the form of vapor: The warm sun evaporated the dew.
- to extract moisture or liquid from, as by heat, so as to make dry or to reduce to a denser state: to evaporate fruit.
- to cause to disappear or fade; dissipate: His involvement in the scandal evaporated any hope he had for a political career.
- evaporate (Thesaurus)