etch: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (ech), [key]
- to cut, bite, or corrode with an acid or the like; engrave with an acid or the like, as to form a design in furrows that when charged with ink will give an impression on paper.
- to produce (a design, image, etc.) by this method, as on copper or glass.
- to outline clearly or sharply; delineate, as a person's features or character.
- to fix permanently in or implant firmly on the mind; root in the memory: Our last conversation is etched in my memory.
- to cut (a feature) into the surface of the earth by means of erosion: A deep canyon was etched into the land by the river's rushing waters.
- to practice the art of etching.
- an acid used for etching.
- etch (Thesaurus)