Meaning of essay
Pronunciation: (n.es'ā for 1, 2 es'ā, e&sylpsā' for 3–5v. e&sylpsā'), [key]
- a short literary composition on a particular theme or subject, usually in prose and generally analytic, speculative, or interpretative.
- anything resembling such a composition: a picture essay.
- an effort to perform or accomplish something; attempt.
- a design for a proposed stamp differing in any way from the design of the stamp as issued.
- a tentative effort; trial; assay.
- to try; attempt.
- to put to the test; make trial of.
- essay (Thesaurus)