ermine: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (ûr'min), [key]
— n., pl. adj. -mines, -mine,
- an Old World weasel, Mustela erminea, having in its winter color phase a white coat with black at the tip of the tail.Cf. stoat.
- any of various weasels having a white winter coat.
- the lustrous, white, winter fur of the ermine, often having fur from the animal's black tail tip inserted at intervals for contrast.
- the rank, position, or status of a king, peer, or judge, esp. one in certain European countries who wears, or formerly wore, a robe trimmed with ermine, as on official or state occasions.
- a fur, consisting of a conventional representation of tails, often with a pattern of dots, sable on argent.
- made of, covered, or adorned with ermine.
- ermine (Thesaurus)