Meaning of equivalence
Pronunciation: (i-kwiv'u-luns or, for 3, ē"kwu-vā'luns), [key]
- the state or fact of being equivalent; equality in value, force, significance, etc.
- an instance of this; an equivalent.
- the quality of having equal valence.
- Also calledmaterial implication.the relation between two propositions such that the second is not false when the first is true.
- Also calledmaterial equivalence.the relation between two propositions such that they are either both true or both false.
- the relation between two propositions such that each logically implies the other.
- (of a logical or mathematical relationship) reflexive, symmetrical, and transitive.
- equivalence (Thesaurus)