Meaning of epicene
Pronunciation: (ep'i-sēn"), [key]
- belonging to, or partaking of the characteristics of, both sexes: Fashions in clothing are becoming increasingly epicene.
- flaccid; feeble; weak: an epicene style of writing.
- effeminate; unmasculine.
- (of Greek and Latin nouns) of the same gender class regardless of the sex of the being referred to, as Latin vulpēs “fox or vixen” is always grammatically feminine.
- (of a noun or pronoun) capable of referring to either sex, as attendant, chairperson, Kim, one, or they; having common gender.
- a person or thing that is epicene.
- epicene (Thesaurus)