Meaning of envelope
Pronunciation: (en'vu-lōp", än'-), [key]
- a flat paper container, as for a letter or thin package, usually having a gummed flap or other means of closure.
- something that envelops; a wrapper, integument, or surrounding cover.
- a surrounding or enclosing structure, as a corolla or an outer membrane.
- a curve or surface tangent to each member of a set of curves or surfaces.
- (of a modulated carrier wave) a curve connecting the peaks of a graph of the instantaneous value of the electric or magnetic component of the carrier wave as a function of time.
- the fabric structure enclosing the gasbag of an aerostat.
- the gasbag itself.
- the airtight glass or metal housing of a vacuum tube.
- envelope (Thesaurus)