Meaning of entry
Pronunciation: (en'trē), [key]
— pl. -tries.
- an act of entering; entrance.
- a place of ingress or entrance, esp. an entrance hall or vestibule.
- permission or right to enter; access.
- the act of entering or recording something in a book, register, list, etc.
- the statement, item, etc., so entered or recorded.
- a person or thing entered in a contest or competition.
- act of taking possession of lands or tenements by entering or setting foot on them.
- the giving of an account of a ship's cargo at a custom house, to obtain permission to land the goods.
- the record of any transaction found in a bookkeeper's journal.
- Seedouble entry.
- Seesingle entry.
- adit (def. 2).
- Also calleda winning card in one's hand or the hand of one's partner that gives the lead to one hand or the other.
- entry (Thesaurus)