engineer: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (en"ju-nēr'), [key]
- a person trained and skilled in the design, construction, and use of engines or machines, or in any of various branches of engineering: a mechanical engineer; a civil engineer.
- a person who operates or is in charge of an engine.
- Also calleda person who operates or is in charge of a locomotive.
- a member of an army, navy, or air force specially trained in engineering work.
- a skillful manager: a political engineer.
- to plan, construct, or manage as an engineer: He's engineered several big industrial projects.
- to design or create using the techniques or methods of engineering: The motor has been engineered to run noiselessly.
- to arrange, manage, or carry through by skillful or artful contrivance: He certainly engineered the election campaign beautifully.
- engineer (Thesaurus)