encounter: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (en-koun'tur), [key]
- to come upon or meet with, esp. unexpectedly: to encounter a new situation.
- to meet with or contend against (difficulties, opposition, etc.): We encounter so many problems in our work.
- to meet (a person, military force, etc.) in conflict: We will encounter the enemy at dawn.
- to meet, esp. unexpectedly or in conflict: We were angry when we encountered, but we parted with smiles.
- a meeting with a person or thing, esp. a casual, unexpected, or brief meeting: Our running into each other was merely a chance encounter.
- a meeting of persons or groups that are in conflict or opposition; combat; battle: Another such encounter and we may lose the war.
- a meeting of two or more people, as the members of an encounter group or a number of married couplesconducted to promote direct emotional confrontations among the participants, esp. as a form of therapy
- encounter (Thesaurus)