Meaning of emphatic
Pronunciation: (em-fat'ik), [key]
- uttered, or to be uttered, with emphasis; strongly expressive.
- using emphasis in speech or action.
- forceful; insistent: a big, emphatic man; I must be emphatic about this particular.
- very impressive or significant; strongly marked; striking: the emphatic beauty of sunset.
- clearly or boldly outlined: It stands, like a great, stone dagger, emphatic against the sky.
- of or pertaining to a form used to add emphasis, esp., in English, stressed auxiliary do in affirmative statements, as in He did call you or I do like it.
- having a secondary velar articulation, as certain dental consonants in Arabic.
- an emphatic consonant.
- emphatic (Thesaurus)