elite: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (i-lēt', ā-lēt'), [key]
- the choice or best of anything considered collectively, as of a group or class of persons.
- persons of the highest class: Only the elite were there.
- a group of persons exercising the major share of authority or influence within a larger group: the power elite of a major political party.
- a type, approximately 10-point in printing-type size, widely used in typewriters and having 12 characters to the inch. Cf. pica.
- representing the most choice or select; best: an elite group of authors.
- elite (Thesaurus)