elevation: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (el"u-vā'shun), [key]
- the height to which something is elevated or to which it rises: The elevation of the tower is 80 feet.
- the altitude of a place above sea level or ground level.
- an elevated place, thing, or part; an eminence.
- loftiness; grandeur or dignity; nobleness: elevation of mind.
- the act of elevating.
- the state of being elevated.
- a drawing or design that represents an object or structure as being projected geometrically on a vertical plane parallel to one of its sides.
- Also calledangle of elevation.the angle between the line from an observer or instrument to an object above the observer or instrument and a horizontal line.
- the distance above a datum level.
- the ability of a dancer to stay in the air while executing a step or the height thus attained.
- the lifting by the celebrant of the Eucharistic elements immediately after consecration, for adoration by the communicants.
- elevation (Thesaurus)