Meaning of elbow
Pronunciation: (el'bō), [key]
- the bend or joint of the human arm between upper arm and forearm.
- the corresponding joint in the forelimb of a quadruped. See diag. under
- something bent like an elbow, as a sharp turn in a road or river, or a piece of pipe bent at an angle.
- Also calleda plumbing pipe or pipe connection having a right-angled bend.
- within easy reach; nearby: A virtue of the cottage is that the ocean is at your elbow.
- to drink alcoholic beverages.
- shove aside, get rid of, or reject.
- poorly dressed; shabby.
- impoverished. Also,out at elbows.
- to mingle socially with; associate with: a resort where royalty rubs elbows with the merely rich.
- very busy; engrossed: I am up to my elbows in answering mail.
- to push with or as if with the elbow; jostle.
- to make (one's way) by so pushing.
- to elbow one's way: He elbowed through the crowd.
- elbow (Thesaurus)