dwell: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (dwel), [key]
— v., n. dwelt dwelled, dwell•ing,
- to live or stay as a permanent resident; reside.
- to live or continue in a given condition or state: to dwell in happiness.
- to linger over, emphasize, or ponder in thought, speech, or writing (often fol. by on or upon): to dwell on a particular point in an argument.
- (of a moving tool or machine part) to be motionless for a certain interval during operation.
- a flat or cylindrical area on a cam for maintaining a follower in a certain position during part of a cycle.
- a period in a cycle in the operation of a machine or engine during which a given part remains motionless.
- dwell (Thesaurus)