dose: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (dōs), [key]
— n., v., dosed, dos•ing.
- a quantity of medicine prescribed to be taken at one time.
- a substance, situation, or quantity of anything analogous to medicine, esp. of something disagreeable: Failing the exam was a hard dose to swallow.
- an amount of sugar added in the production of champagne.
- Also calledabsorbed dose.the quantity of ionizing radiation absorbed by a unit mass of matter, esp. living tissue: measured in gray or rad.
- Seeexposure dose.
- a case of gonorrhea or syphilis.
- to administer in or apportion for doses.
- to give a dose of medicine to.
- to add sugar to (champagne) during production.
- to take a dose of medicine.
- dose (Thesaurus)