Meaning of dope
Pronunciation: (dōp), [key]
— n., v., doped, dop•ing.
- any thick liquid or pasty preparation, as a lubricant, used in preparing a surface.
- an absorbent material used to absorb and hold a liquid, as in the manufacture of dynamite.
- any of various varnishlike products for coating a fabric, as of airplane wings, in order to make it waterproof, stronger, etc.
- a similar product used to coat the fabric of a balloon to reduce gas leakage.
- any narcotic or narcoticlike drug taken to induce euphoria or satisfy addiction.
- any illicit drug.
- a narcotic preparation given surreptitiously to a horse to improve or retard its performance in a race.
- information, data, or news: What's the latest dope on the strike?
- a stupid or unresponsive person.
- soda pop, esp. cola-flavored.
- . syrup used as a topping for ice cream.
- to affect with dope or drugs.
- to apply or treat with dope.
- to add or treat (a pure semiconductor) with a dopant.
- to take drugs.
- to dope out a plan.
- to figure out; calculate; devise:to dope out a plan.
- to deduce or infer from available information:to dope out a solution to a problem.
- dope (Thesaurus)