divorce: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (di-vôrs', -vōrs'), [key]
— n., v. -vorced, -vorc•ing.
- a judicial declaration dissolving a marriage in whole or in part, esp. one that releases the husband and wife from all matrimonial obligations. Cf. judicial separation.
- any formal separation of husband and wife according to established custom.
- total separation; disunion: a divorce between thought and action.
- to separate by divorce: The judge divorced the couple.
- to break the marriage contract between oneself and (one's spouse) by divorce: She divorced her husband.
- to separate; cut off: Life and art cannot be divorced.
- to get a divorce.
Pronunciation: (di-vôr-sā', -vōr-, -vôr'sā, -vōr'-), [key]
- a divorced man.
- divorce (Thesaurus)