Meaning of divan
Pronunciation: (di-van', -vän' or, esp. for 1, dī'van), [key]
- a sofa or couch, usually without arms or back, often usable as a bed.
- a long, cushioned seat, usually without arms or back, placed against a wall, as in Oriental countries.
- a council of state in Turkey and other countries of the Middle East.
- any council, committee, or commission.
- (in the Middle East)
- a council chamber, judgment hall, audience chamber, or bureau of state.
- a large building used for some official or public purpose, as a custom house.
- a smoking room, as in connection with a tobacco shop.
- a collection of poems, esp. a collection in Arabic or Persian of poems by one poet.
Pronunciation: (di-van'), [key]
- sliced and baked in a casserole with broccoli and hollandaise sauce.
- divan (Thesaurus)