Meaning of dispensation
Pronunciation: (dis"pun-sā'shun, -pen-), [key]
- an act or instance of dispensing; distribution.
- something that is distributed or given out.
- a certain order, system, or arrangement; administration or management.
- the old Mosaic, or Jewish, dispensation; the new gospel, or Christian, dispensation.
- the divine ordering of the affairs of the world.
- an appointment, arrangement, or favor, as by God.
- a divinely appointed order or age:the old Mosaic, or Jewish, dispensation; the new gospel, or Christian, dispensation.
- a dispensing with, doing away with, or doing without something.
- a dispensation regarding the Lenten fast.
- a relaxation of law in a particular case granted by a competent superior or the superior's delegate in laws that the superior has the power to make and enforce:a dispensation regarding the Lenten fast.
- an official document authorizing such a relaxation of law.
- dispensation (Thesaurus)