diptych: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (dip'tik), [key]
- a hinged two-leaved tablet used in ancient times for writing on with a stylus.
- a similar tablet of wood or metal containing on one leaf the names of those among the living, and on the other those among the dead, for whom prayers and Masses are said.
- the lists of such persons.
- the intercession in the course of which these names were introduced.
- a pair of pictures or carvings on two panels, usually hinged together.
- diptych (Thesaurus)