Meaning of Derby
Pronunciation: (dûr'bēBrit.där'bē), [key]
— pl. -bies.
- a race for three-year-old horses that is run annually at Epsom Downs, near London, England: first run in 1780.
- any of certain other important annual horse races, usually for three-year-old horses, esp. the Kentucky Derby.
- (l.c.) a race or contest, usually one open to all who wish to enter and offering a prize for the winner.
- (l.c.) any endeavor or venture regarded as a competition: to win the gubernatorial derby.
- (l.c.) Also calleda stiff felt hat with rounded crown and narrow brim, worn chiefly by men.
Pronunciation: (dûr'bē for 1, 2 also Brit. där'bē), [key]
- a city in Derbyshire, in central England. 215,200.
- a city in S Connecticut. 12,346.
- derby (Thesaurus)